How can I display all colours in grass?

Cristiano gibboni at libero.it
Mon Aug 2 18:29:11 EDT 1999

You can find these message in the User  grassforum too.
Can you help me

I can not visualize all color of raster image on my display. When i run r.colors for a raster image,  grass respond that the raster file have more color then my device support. It do depend on Xdriver of grass? Can you help me please?
RE: GRASS Dev Team

It is most likely a problem with your video device. We run into this type of problem running, say, SUN Turbo GX graphics with Netscape and GRASS running at the same time.

Try freeing up some system resources and see if this helps. If not, let us know.

It is not a problem of conflict with other application because i have tried to run whithout other open applications.

Now I explain better my problem. If I export an raster image in giff or ppm format (e.g elevation.dem of spearfish)and open the new giff or ppm file in Xpaint or Gimp (graphics application) I can visualize an image with a good and shade and gradation of colours. On the other hand, when i display the same image in grass i can visulize only some colour (the change of colour is not gradual but whith some sharp edges). I use grass5.0 beta2 and 4.21 version for linux. Linux debian 2.1 whith libc6 on dedicated hard disk partition.                                                 Xserver used is XF86_SVGA or XF86_S3Virge. My system: Pentium MMX 200 Mhz, 32Mb Ram, Monitor SVGA Philips Brilliance 14'', graphics card STB Nitro 3d  whith 4 Mb of Memory.

Can you help me?

If you need other more specific information please ask me.

If someone have fixed the same problem please help me.