nviz and linux

Michael Schulz schulzm at perm.geologie.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Aug 19 08:42:07 EDT 1999

Hello Michel !

Some time ago we tried to port the OGL-version of SG3d (ogl3d) to Linux
using Mesa and lesstif. Without reasonable results, though i think it
should be possible, but i am not really experienced. Markus N. tried it, i
think he also gave up (am i wrong, Markus ?).

But he found a company that sold a Motif/Linux-Version of OGL3D at
www.databridge.com. This site still exists, but is under construction
since one year. I think you could try to mail them.

I have not tried to port the new nviz stuff. If you want to try it, that
would be great.

Cheers, Michael

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Michel Wurtz - ENGEES/CEREG wrote:

> I had the (urgent) need for a grass visualisation program like nviz.
> I looked at baylor, uni-hannover, etc... found pretty screen dumps,
> documentation, etc... but no executable program for linux, though it
> is mentionned that a linux port should be released in 1999.
>
> Should I buy (or rent) a SGI box (which one ?) and compile the grass5.0
> beta version in order to run nviz, or could I use metagl instead of
> opengl on my intel linux box ?
>
> Does someone on the list have any experience about this ?
>
> --
> Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - CEREG
>                 1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex
>                 Tel: +33 03.88.24.82.45  Fax: +33 03.88.37.04.97

Michael Schulz

mschulz at uni-freiburg.de
www.geologie.uni-freiburg.de/root/people/studis/schulzm/schulzm.html