Grass5.0beta2 install prob with binaries

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Fri Aug 20 19:15:56 EDT 1999

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 03:47:38PM -0500, bob at math.umn.edu wrote:
> Ideally the
> lock files would instead be in the user home directory, maybe in some
> place like ~/.grass, as with Netscape and other utilities.  This
> might (again, if I understand enough grass) make the installation more
> secure.  And there seem to be a number of lock and other little files
> floating about.

Some lockfiles have to be global, just think of the number of
graphic display pipes used or physical inputs devices.
So two ways from there to improve the situation:

	Make the locking executables setgid or setuid.
	(and have just one executable doing the locking.)
	And/or use the /tmp directory.

	Localise all global lockable resources.
	(Unlikely to work.)

Bernhard