Groundwater model

Bob Stanfield stanassc at epix.net
Wed Aug 25 15:24:23 EDT 1999

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Juergen wrote:

>I try to calculate safty-factors for landslide stability, using the 'infinite
>slope model'.
>Before I can use the stability model I fist have to get a idea of the
>groundwater height on top of the slide plane for each pixel of my dhm.
>
>Does anyone have a recommendation for a groundwater model which will give me the
>information I need? Has anyone already done some sort of these calculations in
>grass?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>	Juergen Rogozia

Gentlefolk,

	I have been looking for various models in this catagory. I ran across
the attached outfit. As you will note that they are resistant to Linux and
GRASS. Let us pursuade them otherwise.

Bob Stanfield
Stanfield Associates
29 Ledge Lane
Pipersville, PA 18947
Voice 610-294-9884
FAX   610-294-8119

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:16:25 -0400
From: James Rumbaugh <jrumbaugh at mindspring.com>
To: Bob Stanfield <stanassc at epix.net>
Subject: Re: Software products (fwd)

Hi Bob,

We will send out brochures and a demo CD-ROM for your review.  Also, here
are the answers to your questions:

1) Do your programs run on other platforms such as Mac or Linux
   operating systems? If not when?

No, just Windows 95/98/NT.  No plans for the others.

2) What interfaces do these programs have with ArcView and/or GRASS?
   If not when?

We are working on a very nice interface to ArcView that should be done in
the next month or so.  That upgrade will be free to Groundwater Vistas
users when available.  We will eventually implement this in AquiferWin32 as
well.

3) In particular we have an ordinance that regulates the water table
draw down from planned subdivisions. The ability to derive transmissivity and
storativity parameters of the Hantush-Jacob variety from aquifer tests and to
predict future drawdown from multiple wells that we require, is important
to us.
We could require that your software be a standard. The brochure I saw was
limited
in technical detail.

AquiferWin32 Version 2 can do this using the "Modeling" version.  We are
just now releasing Version 2 so the brochures do not address it yet.  The
"modeling" version can analyze virtually any type of aquifer test including
the Hantush-Jacob method you mention above.  You may then set up a model
with an unlimited number of pumping wells to compute drawdown and contour it.

Jim

Jim Rumbaugh                            Software,
Environmental Simulations, Inc.         Information, &
2997 Emerald Chase Drive                Services for Groundwater
Oak Hill, VA  20171                     Modeling
(703) 834-3054
(703) 689-2827 fax
info at groundwatermodels.com
http://www.groundwatermodels.com