SDTS on GRASS

root = aanderson3 at uswest.net
Thu Jul 1 15:03:30 EDT 1999

I am interested in importing the USGS 7.5 minute series into grass.
My understanding of the USGS maps is that the new format is SDTS, and
I found the sdts modules in the 4.2.1 binaries for Linux.

The utility v.in.sdts segfaults when in input mode, and I have been
unable to locate the sources to investigate. The manual page refers
to a 'GRASS-SDTS User Guide' but gives no references, and I note that
the grass mail-list seems to trickle out without resolving some SDTS
problems.

My understanding is that the SDTS is the USGS newest standard and it
seems that there should be lots of interest in it in the grass world.
Am I missing something here? Has the world abandoned SDTS, or has
it abandoned grass? Or is there just a need for someone to address it?

Any help would be appreciated. Is there another non-proprietary unix
program which works better than grass for SDTS?

			Thanks in advance