How do I get ArcView shape files into Grass?

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at home.com
Mon Mar 29 08:07:32 EST 1999

James Harper wrote:

> How do I get .shp files into Grass as a vector file.  I will worry about
> getting them out later.  Thanks.

James,

You can try downloading my v.in.shape code from:

   http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/grass/index.html

Are you trying to import points, lines or polygons?  Points and polygons are
still somewhat problematic.  Points are not imported as sites (but as vector
points), and polygons are imported as closed arcs, but boundaries between
adjacent polygons will always appear double digitized.  Also, there aren't any
internal points generated to label the polygons.

I would appreciate any reports of problems with this program.

Best regards,

I set the clouds in motion - turned up | Frank Warmerdam, Programmer for Rent
light and sound - activate the windows | http://members.home.com/warmerda
and watch the world go round - Rush    | warmerda at home.com