License needed!

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sat Oct 9 09:18:40 EDT 1999

> 	GRASS still does not come with a real license [1].
>         --------------------------------------------------
>
> In a mail to the developers in May I explained the problems
> and suggested that GRASS should be clearly licensed as free software. [2]
> After a bit of discussion I formulated another pledge for this cause. [3]
> I received feedback from a significant number of people, which shared
> my concerns and views in that respect.
>
> The GRASS development team at least clearly stated that they own the
> copyright to GRASS, which is an improvement IIRC. But a license
> is still needed and it hurds GRASS and the community that it does not
> come with a clear free software license.
>
> Markus Neteler and Bruce Byar are well aware of the situation.
> The last I heard from it was that they work on the problem with legal=20
> help at Baylor. What is the status of this?

Hi Bernhard, dear GRASS-community

in *my* opinion it would be interesting to check if GRASS could
be published unter "Gnu public licence" (GPL). But it is not my
decision. I suggest that you *all* tell us about your opinion.
Perhaps from that we can find out about the general opinion in
the GRASS community and forward this to the copyright holders.

Best regards

 Markus Neteler