License needed: Marcus Please start the process!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 14 13:10:14 EDT 1999

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Lori Kingery wrote:

> This (or some misconception about it) may be why there was no license
> attached to GRASS while it was under our purview. But either way, it seems
> unlikely that anyone here would contest the license, unless it is somehow
> illegal to license a gov't product.

Lori,

  Thank you. Given that the GPL allows distribution for no cost or cost, as
long as the source code goes along and as long as the same rights are not
restricted down the distribution chain, should not raise any flags of
legality. And now that the 5.0 code has been done by folks other than the US
government I would suspect that the issue would be even of less interest to
challengers.

> You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take. - Wayne Gretzky

  Keep shooting. You're doing very well.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com