re licenses, GRASS history, etc.

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Tue Oct 19 09:47:13 EDT 1999

Hi, all
This discussion about licensing GRASS has reawakened some questions that
I've had for a long time. Would someone be kind enough to explain the
formal, if any, relationship between Baylor, Markus, and CERL? I was
initially under the impression that the Center for Applied Geographic
and Spatial Research had a contract with CERL to produce and release
GRASS versions 4.2 and 5.0. I was always confused with how Markus
Neteler fit into the "big scheme" (although I'm very glad you're
there!!). If someone (or several someones) would like to give a brief
history of GRASS, parts IV and V, I'd be most appreciative, and will
pass it on to my GRASS class (yup, we still teach it here, along with
it's commercial counterparts!).

Many thanks,
	-Malcolm

Malcolm D. Williamson                       malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Voice: 501-575-2734
12 Ozark Hall                                   Fax: 501-575-5218
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville AR 72701
http://www.cast.uark.edu/