Tangential Topic - Hand held GPS units

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at altoplanos.net
Thu Oct 21 15:53:50 EDT 1999

I have an Eagle Map Guide Pro GPS unit.  I bought it more for recreation
than work.  It seemed to have the features I wanted and needed.  Well
after some use I discovered the maps that are provided are far to general
and out of date.
   I contacted Eagle to ask about the map data format so I could generate
more detailed maps from USGS quad and dem data but was told that it is
considered proprietary information and they wouldn't provide it. My
options are live with it, hack the data files, or replace the unit.

Since I'm not the type to 'live-with-it' and a little short of time to
fiddle with the files, I'm considering replacing the unit.  Are any of you
aware of any hand held GPS units that provide for custom maps?

TIA,
Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson