Major problem trying to install 5.0beta3 for linux

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Wed Sep 22 17:18:06 EDT 1999

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 01:50:53PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Ben Horner-Johnson wrote:

>   I was in /usr3 and I did type rm -r bin/ (messed up in the message).
> Somehow, the directories are appearing in two places.
Okay.

>   Regardless of how I screwed up,
It is probably hard to reconstrucht what happened.

> untarring the tarball should not have made
> bin, dev, etc and so on appear as directories under /usr3. _That's_ what got
> me in trouble in the first place.

Tar untarrs relativ to the directory, per default.
I haven't checked the tarball myself, but it would have worked, if
you would have been in "/".

Good luck with fixing your system.
	Bernhard

--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.    (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure              (ffii.org)