[GRASSLIST:1220] Re: Grass 5 beta 9

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Dec 6 23:37:14 EST 2000

Hi Bill

Bill Kristan wrote:

> I just downloaded the Linux binaries, installed them, then tried to
> run grass5, but got the following:
>
> Starting GRASS ...
> ERROR: Invalid user interface specified.
> Use the -help option to grass for valid interfaces.
>
> I tracked the message down to the Init.sh in etc, but that's as far as
> I got. I've run grass on this machine before, including tcltkgrass, so
> I don't think it's missing tcl or tk files. Any ideas?

This has something to do with the new startup. Could you plese tell me
exactly how you started grass, including any spaces. Also, try editing
the file etc/Init.sh and put the following line at line 209 (after the
"if [ ! "$LOCATION" ] ; then" line

echo "GUI = $GRASS_GUI"

and report what was printed for the GUI.

Thanks and we will try to find out what this problem is.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center