[GRASSLIST:1231] fitting grass into the Linux file system

Roger S. Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Thu Dec 7 12:42:19 EST 2000

Folks,

I've been running on grass5 beta7 and will be upgrading soon to beta 9
(er.. beta 10 now, I guess).  I was wondering how other people have fit
grass into their Linux file systems.

For the beta7 installation I put the source distribution under
/usr/local/src and installed the compiled binaries under /usr/grass5b7.
I also placed the database under /usr/grass5b7.  I want to change that for
the new distribution.

What do you think?  I'm thinking of keeping the source distribution in
/usr/local/src as before, but installing the binaries under
/usr/local/grass and the database somewhere under /home.  I think that
setup is more consistent with "official" recommendations on the Linux file
system, but will it create major headaches in setup?

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates