[GRASSLIST:1239] Re: Word of thanks and a question

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Dec 8 10:43:12 EST 2000

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 06:50:07AM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 05:59:43PM +0900, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks to the GRASS develpment team for bring out
> > the Grass5-b10 with several enhancements and bugfixes.
> >
> > The binary is working without problem on my machine
> > running Mandrake Linux7.2. Coming to the question now,
> > is there a way to avoid the GRASS graphics monitor getting
> > erased by the tcl/tk panels or terminal windows. The may
> > not be a problem due to GRASS (perhaps to do with my KDE
> > window manager setting), but everytime other windows
> > or tcl/tk panels appear in the foreground over the GRASS
> > monitor the area of overlap on the GRASS monitor gets erased.
> > I need to bring the GRASS monitor to the foreground and use
> > the d.mon select=Xx which refreshes the monitor.
> >
> > GRASS5beta8 working on other machines (Redhat6.0 and Slackware7.0)
> > dont seem to have this problem.
>
> Difference is X 3.3.6 => X 4.0.1, I think.  Try putting this in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config (or wherever it's stored on Mandrake).
>
> Section "Device"
>         Option "backingstore" "on"
> EndSection

Hi Eric,

this unfortunately doesn't fully fix the problem for KDE (however it
does for fvwm2).

KDE-Example: If you draw a raster map, cover the monitor partly with a
window, run d.erase and move away the covering window, you will find parts
of the old map in the covered window corner. I guess it is an X 4.0.1
problem (as X 3.3.6 was o.k.).

Above backingstore trick is posted on the FAQ.

I have no idea to fully fix it...

Markus