[GRASSLIST:1253] r.cost whine

bob at math.umn.edu bob at math.umn.edu
Tue Dec 12 13:25:19 EST 2000

It's r.cost again, and me again.

Doing this ...

GRASS:~/grass > r.cost -vkn input=veg.prod5n.inv output=veg.prod5n.inv.cost start_sites=s.cost.start.test stop_sites=s.cost.stop.test
Null cells excluded from cost evaluation.
Source map is: Integer cell type, 2400 rows, 2400 cols.
Creating some temporary files ...

leads to a long wait.  During this wait, I noted that the size of my map
area grew.  A lot.  Doing du -s ~/mymaps showed an increase in disk usage from
365189 to 388949, or about 33Mb, when I finally killed r.cost.  Rooting around
in the directories, I was unable to find out where these temporary files
might be located.

Taking the number of rows and columns, I might expect to need around 23Mb
total.  My concern is that in the past r.cost has continued to suck up more
and more disk space for these temporary files, files which are also BTW
not deleted when r.cost is killed - a trap needed here?

I note that for larger source maps a G_malloc error appears.

It might be handy to be able to specify a different default for the temporary
files, so that an auxiliary hard drive might be used for this purpose.  Just
a thought.

Hope this helps.

Adios,
Chris
--
C.S. Cornuelle
School of Mathematics/MCIM, University of Minnesota
(612) 626-8930v, (612) 624-2333f, bob at math.umn.edu
Ferventer Vestite