[GRASSLIST:1279] Re: TCL script "gis_gen.tcl" problem

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Dec 15 00:25:52 EST 2000

Hello all

Yann Le Jeune wrote:
> I am back on my grass desk after one year.
> I have installl grass5beta10 and i received the same error message, remarked on the mailing list.
> I applied the two corrections (line 706):
>  remove "-nocase" and the "#" solution.
> In payment of my work, i only have a tcl window (empty) with the
> script label(after running "grass5"). If someone can help me... I
> am not yet very good with that kind of unix-style corrections...
> Thanks.

OK, I know what the problem is and I think I know what is causing this.
The problem of only getting an empty Tcl/Tk window is due to an invalid
$HOME/.grassrc5 file. This seems to be caused by the -nocase error that
some users are receiving. What happens is that when the error occurs, a
valid $HOME/.grassrc5 file is not being created. Thus, the next time
grass starts, the file exists but it does not have the DATABASE,
LOCATION, and MAPSET variables properly set and creates the empty
window.

The immediate fix for this is to delete your $HOME/.grassrc5 and start
grass again as if you were a new user. It will start in text mode by
default, but then the next time you run grass it will start in tcltk
mode unless you specify the -text option to grass5.

Thank you to all the users who submitted reports and please let me know
if you have any other problems.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th