[GRASSLIST:1282] errors grass5beta10

rob schick rob_schick at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 15:40:02 EST 2000

List- I was having some startup errors, but after removing the -nocase
option per Justin's recommendation, grass started just fine. However, I ran
into problems when I tried to access another dataset (I'm obviously new at
this, and am still somewhat confused about how the data directories work). I
downloaded the leics dataset for the GRASS Seeds tutorial. When the tcl
window popped up I tried to specify a new location and dataset, but received
an error about the disable option (I tried to recreate this so I could
specify exactly what it was, but I can no longer get grass5b10 to start with
the tcl window). I quit, and then tried to restart grass, which prompted:

Starting GRASS ...
/usr/local/grass5/etc/set_data: error in loading shared libraries:
libncurses.so
.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I then deleted the $home/.grassrc5 file and started grass again. This
prompted (note the version):
$ grass5

WELCOME TO GRASS              Version 5.0beta9         December 2000

   1) Have at your side all available GRASS tutorials

   2) When working on your location, the following materials
      are extremely useful:
      - A topo map of your area
      - Current catalog of available computer maps

   3) Check the GRASS webpages for feedback mailinglists and more:
      http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass
      http://grass.baylor.edu

Hit RETURN to continue

Starting GRASS ...
/usr/local/grass5/etc/set_data: error in loading shared libraries:
libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I then rebooted the computer and I receive the same error. Not sure what
I've done wrong. My questions are threefold:

1. How can I correct this and get the tcl window up again?
2. Why is the version now 9 instead of ten?
3. In the tcl window how exactly do you specify a new dataset? Is the
location one directory above PERMANENT?

Thanks, Rob

Rob Schick
Assistant Scientist/GIS