[GRASSLIST:1286] Re: errors grass5beta10

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Dec 17 11:49:47 EST 2000

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 01:49:05PM -0700, Roger S. Miller wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, rob schick wrote:
>
> > List- I was having some startup errors, but after removing the -nocase
> > option per Justin's recommendation, grass started just fine. However, I ran
> > into problems when I tried to access another dataset (I'm obviously new at
> > this, and am still somewhat confused about how the data directories work). I
> > downloaded the leics dataset for the GRASS Seeds tutorial.
>
> Rob,
>
> I have to let others handle your questions, but I do want to point out
> that the tutorial you downloaded is a grass v.4 tutorial.  It doesn't work
> correctly under version 5 mostly because the two versions treat the value
> "0" differently.
>
> My assistant ran that tutorial as her first introduction to grass.  It
> didn't work right and that failure probably forever colored her opinion of
> grass.
Hi all,

a sidenote:
we are still working on the translation of the German "GRASS Handbuch"
into English language... This covers the "new" GRASS 5 features and
contains examples etc. (250 pages). I still need a few volunteers who
can read German and write English. If the English version is finished,
Spanish and Russian language are scheduled (translators are waiting for
the English version).

If a few volunteers would help to finish the translation, the sooner it
could be published... It is planned to publish fully online as well as
a book (probably by an U.S. publisher).

Please answer personally to me if you are interested to help translating:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/handbuch/index.html

Regards

 Markus Neteler

--
Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology