[GRASSLIST:1310] Re: Colormode problems on powerpc linux

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Dec 20 04:27:31 EST 2000

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 05:54:27PM -0800, Allan Hollander wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I'm not able to switch to colormode float on my GRASS setup, which is a
> recent CVS build running under Yellow Dog Linux on an iMac DV (Rage 128
> video card, using XFree86 4.0).  Here's a relevant snippet from the
> commands:
>
>    GRASS 5.0beta10 > d.mon start=x0
>    using default visual which is TrueColor
>    Visual is read-only or using a private colormap
>    ncolors: 32768
>    allocating memory...
>    Graphics driver [x0] started
>
>    Mapset <allan> in Location <califutm10>
>    GRASS 5.0beta10 > d.colormode mode=float
>
>    Sorry, floating color table not available on this device
>
>    Mapset <allan> in Location <califutm10>
>    GRASS 5.0beta10 >
>
> Does anybody have any insights or fixes that will enable me to use a
> floating color table?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Allan D. Hollander
> adh at ice.ucdavis.edu

Hi Allan,

as the GRASS 5 XDRIVER support much more colors than the old 4.x
Xdriver the d.colormode mode=float is not required any more. We
should consider to remove it (or improve the error message).
If you want more than 32768 colors, use the

    nlev   Number of color levels for each R/G/B
option of d.mon.

Hope this helps

 Markus Neteler