[GRASSLIST:1311] Re: GNU - GPL and Cuba

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Dec 20 04:59:32 EST 2000

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 05:06:42PM -0500, Lars Bromley wrote:
> Hi List,
> I am involved in a US-Cuba scientific cooperation program, one
> aspect of which involves geospatial sorts of technologies. Due to the
> embargo on Cuba, our counterparts cannot seem to acquire any US-based GIS
> technologies as they represent a possible security risk.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with Cuban GIS folks, and if so how did
> they get their software? Does the GNU-GPL circumvent this possible
> liability at all? Does acquisition of GRASS from a non-US source avoid
> liability?  I am ready to recommend that our counterparts simply acquire
> GRASS via one of the non-US mirror sites, but am not sure if that is a
> legitimate approach.
>
> Any thoughts? Any advice?

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer (like Eric)

I don't see any problems why GRASS shouldn't be used in Cuba (perhaps some
people already use it). As a worldwide team support GRASS and GRASS can
be downloaded from non-U.S. countries (the development server is in
Germany), downloading shouldn't affect U.S. laws (please see disclaimer).

Maybe they just order a CDROM here (see "Aqcuire GRASS" page) or download it?

The GPL shouldn't affect this "problem" at all.

Just recommendations,

 Markus Neteler