[GRASSLIST:1318] Disaster with "make clean" --GRASS-5.0-10 Linux

Peter Denisevich pdenis2 at home.com
Thu Dec 21 15:04:50 EST 2000

Hi,
I'm new to GRASS but not to Linux and I'm somewhat hesistant to post
this since it is at least partly a major screw-up on my part.  [And it's
alsolikely that I'm "losing it" ... ] But lest anyone else have this
problem, here goes (don't try this at home, kids):

Redhat 7.0-i386

Downloaded grass5.0.10beta.tar.gz.
Unpacked into /opt [as root since everything after 'configure' requires
root privileges...]
cd into /opt/grass5.0.10beta

./configure [regular stuff, pointing libs to the right places, etc]
make, make install.
Run ; play with, etc.  Some problems with monitor selection, etc.

NOW:  "make distclean" to get ready to reconfigure/rebuild.

*****THIS WIPES OUT MOST DIRECTORIES UNDER /usr/local:  e.g.
/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, etc, etc, etc.***

The default configure-generated Makefile uses /usr/local as PREFIX and
the 'make clean' step just rm -rf's the dirs...
$PREFIX/bin/, $PREFIX/lib/, and so on.

Comments???  I don't see from the Makefile where things would have been
different if I had unpacked into /usr/local and configured from
/usr/local/grass-5.0-10-beta.

In general, I hate building stuff as root because stupid things like
this can happen.  I have more or less come to expect makefile to
clean-up via file lists, rather than rm -rf, but perhaps that's my
inexperience...

Back to GRASS after I rebuild the rest of my system.

Regards,
Dr. Peter Denisevich