Future direction (and a rant).

Kjell-Olav Bjerknes kjell-olav.bjerknes at student.nlh.no
Sun Jan 9 09:34:20 EST 2000

Future direction:

As its worth, I think Grass has lost some of its steps ahead. All the
comercial competitors seems to have made more user friendly and powerful
GIS programs. I'm still exploring Grass's posibilities but after
attempting som GIS courses at my school (the Agricultural University of
Norway) I got some ideas for Grass.

- throw away the flat file system, and implement a real rational
databasesystem. Maybe making Postgress a part of Grass. Or take that gigant
leap and becomming the leader in object oriented GIS. All the major GIS
programs are missing the power of a powerful RDBMS engine....

- Develope the vector part.....

- Keep commandline, but for easy use, develope GUI so everybody can run an
overlay and buffer som rivers just by clicking som buttons......

- combining Grass, as already mentioned some time ago on this list, with R
for more statistics and modeling

Comments?

Kjell-Olav Bjerknes
pb 226
1432 As
Norway
Student at the Agricultural University of Norway, Dep. of Forestry
Specializing in GIS, Remote Sensing and Airborne Lidar Mapping.

kjell-olav.bjerknes at student.nlh.no