Future direction - GRASS GUI

Pavol Cvengros cvengros at gssr.sk
Fri Jan 14 07:18:33 EST 2000

Hello
    Eventhough I am subscribed to this conference only for a short
period of time, I keep a keen eye on the thread concerning the GRASS
GUI. I am glad someone finally decided to create such a thing as a GUI,
yet if I could voice my opinion, I would like to opose Bernhard Reiter's
views on these issues:
    - python: seems to be a good object-oriented language, but how many
people can actually program in it?
    - C++ : why not? seems very practical for GUI development
    - Qt : same question: why not? it is a good library to program in,
can be used for rapid development. It is safe (no overflows and other
nasty issues). It is portable to many platforms and so are applications
which rely solely on the library functions and ot system-specific
libraries.

    I rise these questions because since Christmas I was independently
working (at that time I wasn't in the mailing-list) on a GUI for GRASS
(I don't like Tcl/Tk ;-)) using Qt 2.0.2 and C++ under Linux.

    Greetings
                            Pavol Cvengros

Contact: cvengros at gssr.sk
Geological Survey of Slovak Republic