Dot or bubble maps

Michel Wurtz - ENGEES/CEREG mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Jan 28 08:03:23 EST 2000

Spijker wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for a way to create dot maps (or bubble maps) out of site
> data. Something like d.sites but the size of the icon should be relative
> to the attribute of that site. Is there anyway to produce such maps in
> Grass ?

You can use v.circle (look at the man page), but you need first to
split your site file, because v.circle use a fixed value for radius.
This should not be difficult with a script (shell or perl) and the
use of s.out.ascii, sort, grep, s.in.ascii, v.circle to automate the
process (programming is left to the reader as an exercice :-)

You may prefer to look at the source of v.circle and modify it,
so it can use the value to determine the radius... (Yet another
good exercice of programmation :-)

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - CEREG
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex