[GRASSLIST:1103] Re: compiling cvs source tree

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sat Nov 11 14:16:45 EST 2000

Hi Moritz,

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 06:27:50PM +0100, mlennert at club.worldonline.be wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have trouble compiling the cvs source tree. I get the following error
> message after typing 'make install':
>
> test -d /usr/local/grass-5.0b || mkdir -p -m 755 /usr/local/grass-5.0b
> test -d src/CMD/next_step || mkdir -p src/CMD/next_step
> UNIX_BIN=/usr/local/bin SRC=`pwd` MAKE=make NAME_VER=`cat src/CMD/VERSION |
> head -1 | sed 's/\..*//'` GISBASE=/usr/local/grass-5.0b MACHINENAME=`uname -n`
> /bin/sh src/CMD/generic/CREATE_GMAKE.sh
> cat: src/CMD/generic/../head/head.: No such file or directory
... here is the problem.       ^^^^^

Recently we have updated the Makefile system to generate platform
specific file. Means: Formerly one head.file was generated.
Now you get a head file name depending on the computer platform
e.g. src/CMD/head/head.i686-pc-linux-gnu

After you have run
cvs update -dP
I guess you did not run
configure

again. If you do, the problem should be fixed as the new head-file
will be generated. Sorry for this inconvenience, but now you
can compile GRASS in a network of different platform types from
the same source code tree.

In case of "configure" does not fix your problem, please let
me know.

Kind regards

 Markus