size of site icons

Radim Blazek Radim.Blazek at dhv.cz
Tue Oct 3 07:30:12 EDT 2000

mlennert at club.worldonline.be wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I've been using the latest 'size_att' feature in ps.map.new (thanks a lot
> Radim !).

ps.map.new was moved to ps.map to be clear.

> It is great for showing site data in a size proportionate to its
> value. I only have one question : 'size_at't is multiplied by 'size' to give
> the proportionate size. If I am not mistaking 'size' is just the number of
> pixels, which should be equivalent to the area of the icon (i.e. number of
> pixels x area of one pixel). However, I get icons whose height (and not whose
> area) is proportionate to the value given in size_att. Can anyone tell me
> where my assumptions are wrong ?
>
> Moritz

Neither size nor size_att is proportional to area now. But I know
that usualy area is (should be) used instead of height. Using calculated
area of icon would not be usefull because symbol for one site
may be composed of more icons (repeated sites section in script).
I want add option for function used for size calculation from attribute
(like: linear, sqrt, ln) in future.

You have to calculate new attributes for ps.map and create new site file for now -
should not be problem.

Radim