[GRASSLIST:2242] Re: Projection questions

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Aug 2 10:59:10 EDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:44:09AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Eric G. Miller wrote:
[...]
> > > Speaking of projections, can anyone suggest any online (or
> > > downloadable) tutorials on the subject? I've read the stuff in chapter
> > > 2 of the CAST GRASS tutorial, but I could do with something more
> > > substantial.
> >
> > Some basic info is available at Geographer's Craft:
> >
> >   http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/contents.html
> >
> > _Geodesy for the Layman_:
> >
> >   http://164.214.2.59/GandG/geolay/toc.htm
> >
> >   *** NIMA's website is fsck'ed, so that may not work ;(
> >       (if their website wasn't screwed up, you could also get an
> >        excellent reference on WGS 84 and it's relation to several
> >        other datums -- if you want it let me know [big PDF])
> >
> > POSC.ORG (Epicentre) has a detailed discussion of coordinate systems and
> > transformations:
> >
> >   http://www.posc.org/Epicentre.2_2/DataModel/ExamplesofUsage/eu_cs.html
>
> OK, thanks for those. I'd already encountered the first two via the
> URL which I posted, but the third one was new (and quite useful).
>
> > The European Petroleum Survey Group did publish an MS Access database
> > with a gazilion coordinate systems from around the world, but I can't
> > seem to locate them anymore (was epsg.org).  I've a copy of the database
> > last winter...
>
> I don't have MS-Access, but FWIW, it's at:
>
> 	http://geps2.ihsenergy.com/products/geodetic.html
>
> In any case, it wasn't so much the specifics of individual coordinate
> systems I was after, but an introduction to the key concepts and
> terminology involved.
>
> --
> Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

Hi,

you may also refer to the GRASS 5 HTML docs, I already had
added several URLs (new page html/projections_supported.html):

http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/index.html
-> Supported projections in GRASS 5.0
(see at bottom of page)

Cheers

 Markus

--
Markus Neteler

ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
Project on Predictive Models for the Environment
Via Sommarive, 18
38050 Trento (Povo), Italia
tel +39 0461 314 520                         neteler at itc.it
fax +39 0461 314 591                      http://mpa.itc.it