[GRASSLIST:2267] Re: Display problem of floating point raster data

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Aug 4 09:57:50 EDT 2001

Christian Georges wrote:

> I'm running GRASS5 compiled from the CVS sources (24.07.) quite
> smoothly on different PC's using different linux distributions (Redhat,
> SuSE, 'LinuxFromScratch').
>
> On one PC I experience a display problem (on the others I use the
> same data, but have no display problems):
>
> I can't display floating point raster data, whereas integer raster
> data show up with no problems.
>
> The compilation of GRASS didn't give me any error, so I don't assume
> that its really a GRASS problem, but more some kind of configuration
> difficulties.
> The floating point data are calulated by r.mapcalc on that machine, I
> can calculate r.support, stats and so on, thus the data seem to be ok.
> seem to be ok.
>
> Specs:
> I start the display as usual: "d.mon start=x0" and get
> "using default visual which is TrueColor
> ncolors: 16777216"
>
> Xserver configuration:
> XFREE 3.3.6 11.0
> 24 bit
> Windowmanager: KDE2
> (Hardware: Matrox Millenium II, Compaq Pentium 200MMX)
>
> Should I run the server on 16 instead of 24 bit?
> Any suggestions?

The monitor generally runs fine on a 24-bit display.

Can you provide more details about the problem?

Do you get any errors?

Is anything being drawn? (if you get a black window, use e.g. "d.erase
red" first, so that you can distinguish between nothing being drawn
and everything being drawn in black).

What output do you get from xdpyinfo?

Does d.colortable produce sensible output?