[GRASSLIST:2293] Import questions

Kevin Slover kjslover at nhc.noaa.gov
Tue Aug 7 08:19:20 EDT 2001

Good morning,
    I am trying to figure out the best way to import elevation data at
this time.  I have finally managed to get grass running, and import some
OrthoPhotos, but have yet to be able to get elevation data in yet.  I am
working with several different formats, depending on how much resolution
I am looking for.  I am working with for right now 1:250,000 DEM from
USGS and Lidar data in two separate formats.  The DEM is in the native
format, and the Lidar data at this time is in X,Y,Z.  I have actually
gotten a raster image from DEM import, but it is definitely not correct,
as it is a single line in the middle of the display window.  The x,y,z I
have no clue, as there is no form of ASCII import.  Is there a simple
command to import these??
Second question, more on the capabilities of grass, as I am new to the
environment.  What type of resolution can you import without having it
take hours to process.  The Lidar data that I am working with is binned
at 5m, but it would be nice to have finer resolution for what I am
wantig to do.  I am not working with a great machine, a DELL Server with
a 500MhZ (?) single processor and 512MB RAM on RH7.1.  I am using the
precompiled libraries at this point in time.  Thanks for your help....

--
Kevin Slover, Meteorologist/Oceanographer
Tropical Prediction Center/National Hurricane Center

Work: (305) 229-4456 Fax : (305) 553-1264
e-mail:  kjslover at nhc.noaa.gov  kevin.slover at noaa.gov
Web address:  http://www.nhc.noaa.gov