[GRASSLIST:2798] Re: elevation profiles

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Dec 17 21:16:36 EST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:48:58 -0700, Eric Hillmuth <ehillmuth at digitalmeridian.net> wrote:

> I'm working with a set of trails that I'm going to need to generate
> profiles for. I've looked into using r.profile with my elevation model
> but my profiles will need to follow a trail, not just one line segment
> as it appears r.profile does. My current thinking is to convert my trail
> vertexes to sites and get elevations for each site then generate my
> profiles in a spreadsheet or graphing application. Does anyone have any
> thoughts on what commands one could use to get elevations for sites from
> an underlying elevation model?

See "s.sample" and then use s.out.ascii.  I've used gri for such things,
though a spreedsheet grapher might also work (you'll need to calculate,
planimetric distance between points).  Easiest if you put each trail
in a separate sites file...  Use something like "v.to.sites -ai <map> dmax=??"
to get a good quantity of sites...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>