[GRASSLIST:1449] Re: Beta10 startup

Roger S. Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Mon Feb 12 12:04:21 EST 2001

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   If I use the upgrade (-U) option, I'm told that too many apps require the
> .4 version. So, I tried the install option (-i) to add the new version, too.
> That failed because of conflicts with a version (ncurses-5.0-2) that cannot
> be found in any form on my system.
>
>   I know this is a linux problem, not a GRASS problem, and I've asked for
> help from the local users group. My frustration is that it should be a
> no-brainer to add a new version of the ncurses library without removing the
> older version. Turns out to be a major project. Sigh.

It sounds like an RPM problem rather than an actual linux problem.
Ignoring probable problems with version compatibility, you could just
create a softlink to libncurses4.0 and call it libncurses5.0.
Alternatively you could find the binary in a non-RPM package and install
it where it needs to be, or you could get the source package, compile it
and install it where it needs to be.

Personally I try to get everything as source code and compile if for my
system because in the past I frequently lost capabilities and had minor
incompatibilities in pre-compiled binaries.  Things *are* improving now
and I doubt those problems are as common as they once were.

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates