[GRASSLIST:1517] Re: How to measure plants?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 26 09:45:57 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Slawomir K. Duda wrote:

> I try to measure plants (mosses, mainly Pleurozium schreberi) using GIS
> software. I have scanned images of mosses and I want measure main lenght
> and lenght of all branches with their position. I think this is similar
> problem as with measure river lenght with lenghts and position of all
> tributaries.
> I'm new in GRASS and I've got lost in all commands. If anyone has idea how
> to solve above problem I'll feel  very grateful for any information.

Slawomir,

  What you need is network analysis, and I do not know if GRASS has this
capability. GRASS does most of its analyses using raster data, not vector
data. Just this past weekend I thought of a number of applications where
vector-based network analyses would be helpful to me. I was going to
investigate whether or not GRASS has this capability now.

  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will answer and we will both know.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com