[GRASSLIST:1539] Re: installing binaries on windows

Lars Bromley lbromley at aaas.org
Wed Feb 28 10:16:50 EST 2001

Just wanted to weigh in on this issue...

I tried the Cygnus/Windows thing a while ago and never made it far, all sorts of install errors and other issues beat me back. My solution was to just to use Samba on the machine which ran GRASS (in my case a Slackware linux), giving me access to my Windows network. Thus, keeping GRASS on a *nix system and installing Samba (or other appropriate networking software) seemed to be easier than trying to get the Cygnus/Window thing going.

Lars

grass421 at yahoo.com said:
> Is there anyone experienced in installing GRASS on Windows 98/2000?
> I have already GRASS4.2.1 compiled on a HP-Unix workstation, but it
> would be more flexible to have latest version on ibm compatible
> systems.

> What I would need is a step by step procedure more detailed than that
> in http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/
> README.html, 'cause, you know, I'm not so experienced.

I have the same request. Especially knowing what to install in Cygwin in order
for GRASS to run would be interesting.

Moritz