[GRASSLIST:1339] Re: LOCATION_NAME not set

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Jan 5 05:57:39 EST 2001

Hello Graham

Graham Smith wrote:
> I have just installed Mandrake 7.2 for the express purpose of learning
> Grass. I have also installed Grass5 beta10 and am having a problem
> running Grass.
>
> Running the command "grass5" gives a response Grass starting....
>
> A partial TCLTK window opens, but nothing else, and the command line
> stays with the Grass starting.... Message.

Strange, I just got your message today (Friday).

What happened is that your $HOME/.grassrc5 file is corrupt. The best
thing to do in this case is remove your $HOME/.grassrc5 file and start
grass again. You will be given the text version for defining the grass
location and mapset but then the next time you run grass it will start
in tcltk mode.

By the way, if you compiled the beta 10 sources then please be warned
that you should NOT use any of the make clean targets

make mostlyclean
make clean
make distclean
make maintainer-clean
make savebinclean

There is a serious bug with these targets that can delete remove system
files that do not belong to GRASS. We have fixed this bug in CVS.

Hope this helps.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th