[GRASSLIST:1569] Re: GRASS on PowerPC

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 8 04:21:27 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 03:43:18PM +0000, brian_adams at jbadams.com wrote:
> I am running GRASS 5.0b7 on a mac 9500 running LinuxPPC.  It works
> fine for me.  I think the problem is that you are trying to run it
> under Mac OS 9 (8.x).  Won't work.  There have been some reports on
> success compiling it to run under Mac OS X, but that OS doesn't
> even come out officially for another two weeks.
>
> I would suggest getting a copy of LinuxPPC (or Yellow Dog) and
> installing it on a partition on your powerbook.  Then download the
> latest 5.0 version and start the compile process.  It isn't the
> simplest thing to do, but it works, and GRASS runs great on it.
>
> I didn't know that there was a ppc.rpm binary out there.  Is there?

Yes, there is.
The whole FreeGIS CD is available in a ppc version
and contains everything precompiled for GNU/Linux on PowerPCs.

http://freegis.org/order.en.html

Updates can be downloaded from ftp://intevation.de/freegis/
but be gentle to the line.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)