[GRASSLIST:1629] Re: More projection problems...

Morten Hulden morten at ngb.se
Sat Mar 17 12:17:29 EST 2001

Matt,

Found some info of DOQ at
http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/glis/hyper/guide/usgs_doq
Wow, I wish 1m data was available for Europe too.

Seems like STP is hardcoded to use NAD27 datum in GRASS. DOQ uses NAD83,
so grass should actually read the parameters from state83 and not from
state27, but neither g.setproj or m.proj gives the user a choice.

An existing STP location is easy to fix by changing the false easting x_0
to 0.2e+06 (for your area) in the PROJ_INFO file.

But m.proj will still read the parameters from etc/state27. The quick and
dirty fix here is to rename the state83 file.

After doing this m.proj gets both your test points with a few meters/feet
from the expected values. I'm quite sure now that the central parallel of
the aea location is at 24N, not at 27.45 or 27.75.

There still is a 'outside current region' problem with r.proj though. I
think the different units (feet-meters) for the two locations has
something to do with it. I am currently looking into it.

You are probably the first to test r.proj on a STP location since the
module was changed a few months ago. Thanks for taking it up on the
list. We got a few new items on the TODO list.

Morten