[GRASSLIST:1647] Re: GRASS Cygwin Binary Installation problems.

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue Mar 20 07:40:02 EST 2001

Hi Howard,

how do you start the grass shell?
I will assume that your installation is ok, so you should log into
cygwin shell and start grass5 -text there. Try to choose a database
there. Does this work?
You will need to start grass from within an cygwin shell, so if you use
a X Server you have to start the xterm from within cygwin and to log in
to grass from there.

My setup is: Win NT 4.0/Win 2000, cygwin, XFree from cygwin. I can start
the X Server from explorer, log into grass within xterm and fire up
d.mon start=x0 etc.

HTH,

Andreas

Howard Tan schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to get GRASS to work on my NT boxes (NT4.0-sp6 and 2k-sp1).
> I can start GRASS, but it keeps dropping out with the following error:
>
> ERROR:
>        ERROR: program 'g.gisenv' cannot be executed because:
>
>        Neither a command line (cmd) or interactive (inter) version was found
> /usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: GISDBASE: parameter not set
>
> I've downloaded all the neccassary files from Cygwin including the XFree86
> drivers (current as of 3/15), and I'm using ReflectionX (similar to XWin32)
> for my X Server. I've downloaded and installed the IPC binary
> files(v1.09-2). Then I've installed the GRASS binaries (20010312). I can run
> 'StartGrass' successfully, it's starts up another window and then I can
> enter 'grass5' into the new window. Grass starts up, and I enter the
> LOCATION, MAPSET, and DATABASE. I've downloaded the Seeds Tutorial Set from
> the grass website, and follow the tutorial. Then when I hit [ESC][ENTER],
> GRASS coughs out with the error above.
>
> I get the same error on both win nt 4.0 and win 2000.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Howard Tan

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net