[GRASSLIST:2642] Re: FW: Re: Can I import USGS DOQQ files?

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Nov 8 20:59:55 EST 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:06:03 -0800 , "Wyco, Mark" <Mwyco at TheITGroup.com> wrote:

> Actually you can convert MrSID into Geotiff files, you just can't do it
> using the xwindows version of the MrSID viewer.  This version will only
> allow you to export the view and resolution currently on your screen.
> However, the Windows 95,98,2000 version of the MrSID viewer will allow you
> to convert the entire MrSID image into a geotiff file.  Unfortunately, as a
> newcomer to GRASS I just don't seem to be able to import the tif into
> GRASS5.  (Partition fault Error)

GRASS can't support MrSID directly as the format is proprietary and patented.

If r.in.tiff is giving Segment Faults, please try r.in.gdal.  Sorry, but
r.in.tiff is buggy.  However, r.in.gdal should work well (and really
understands GeoTIFF's where r.in.tiff only knows about TIFF World files).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>