[GRASSLIST:2421] problem selecting x0

Aurelien aurelien at fractals.be
Tue Sep 11 08:33:07 EDT 2001

Hi again,

Trying to debut in grass, I'd want to start a monitor (I think that's
mandatory if I want to see anything on-screen, isn't it ?).

So I did d.mon, then selected x0 as a monitor to start.

First, grass told me that /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a wasn't
available, so I checked into /usr/localgrass5/etc/monitorcap, where I
saw that a [...]/fifo.1b was also needed. I tried again, without
success, then I created manually 2 empty files named fifo.1a and fifo.1b
in /usr/local/grass5/dev, but now the message is:

Sorry, </usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a> is not a fifo file.

What is a fifo file ???

Thanks for your precious help,

Aurélien