[GRASSLIST:2482] Trouble with handling of my path by grass

ted byers ted.byers at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 26 00:07:03 EDT 2001

I am running grass on xfree+cygwin on NT, and it all seems to be working, as
far as I have been able to ascertain so far.

However, after I have started grass, and selected a dataset, I see the meu
appear, as well as a welcome screen in the window in which I started grass,
but that welcome text is immediately followed by three errors from bash
complaining about invalid exported symbols.  I have three spaces in my path
(from that portion of the path created by NT for user installed
applications), and I get precisely three errors.  The text of the errors
shows that export is splitting the path into three parts at the location of
the spaces.

If I open a window in which bash is running, and call "echo $PATH", I get
exactly the right output.  If I then call "export PATH", it seems to behave
properly as I get no output, but if I call "export $PATH", I get the same
errors that I see when I srtart grass.

The only place I have found my path being exported so far is in
grass5/etc/Init.sh, near the beginning of the file.  However, the tests I
ran at the command line show that these statements do not produce the errors
I am seeing.

Therefore, the question is, where else should I look?  And how can I fix
this?  It looks to me that at one point, grass is calling "export $PATH"
rather than "export PATH", at some point during initialization and after the
data set is loaded.

Also, is it my imagination, or does Init.sh rewrite .bashrc toward the end
of the script?  If it is rewriting .bashrc, my question is why, and might
the errors I am seeing be caused here?

Any help solving this mystery will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ted

R.E. Byers
ted.byers at sympatico.ca