[GRASSLIST:2492] Re: doqq question

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Sep 26 21:24:41 EDT 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:33:44 +0000, Kevin Slover <kjslover at nhc.noaa.gov> wrote:

> sorry to keep asking questions, but still trying to figure things out...
>
> has there been any support for the LizardTech MrSid photo??  I have
> several DOQQ that I would like to import into a data set, but at this
> point, they are in MrSid format, and can convert them on a Win98
> machine, but file size becomes 1G +, and is impossible to transfer
> between Win and RH7.1.  Lizardtech at this point in time has not offered
> a converter for Linux...wondering if someone might have a way to do
> it... thanks

I don't if it will ever be possible to support MrSid import to GRASS as
the technology is covered by a patent (similar issue to LZW).  If
LizardTech were to supply a binary SDK for Linux, then it probably
would be possible to write a utility to import files -- note, they'd
be huge files in GRASS as well.  Nonetheless, such a utility would
come with a price tag due to licensing requirements.

Got a tape drive? Spare harddisk?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>