[GRASSLIST:4304] Re: PNG error

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Aug 16 13:22:51 EDT 2002

cheg01 at attbi.com wrote:

> I am getting an error on the PNG driver (grass5pre3):
>
> gd-png: fatal libpng error: Application must be recompiled; version 1.0.6
> was incompatible
>
> My question is which application needs to be recompiled: libpng, libgd, the
> PNG driver, or something else?

Probably the GD library. However, if the PNG driver was linked against
a static GD library[1], that would also need to be recompiled.

[1] On Linux (you don't mention which OS you're using), you can use
"ldd" to list the shared libraries which a program uses, e.g.

	ldd $GISBASE/driver/PNG

If the output mentions libgd.so.<something>, e.g.

	libgd.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgd.so.1 (0x4001c000)

then it's using a shared GD library, otherwise it's static.