[GRASSLIST:4385] Re: Jeeping & fixing maps

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 27 05:05:30 EDT 2002

Dave,

check www.freegis.org.  It lists quite some Free Software
that can read data from your GPS.

Once you have the data there are several ways to further process it.
GRASS is just one possibility. GPSdrive might be interesting
while actually driving around.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 01:04:37AM -0700, Dave Nathanson wrote:
> I have a 4 wheel drive Jeep, a Garmin 48 GPS, an external antenna, a
> wonderful traveling companion, and a Macintosh G4 desktop Computer
> running Mac OS X (based on Free BSD). I plan to start with 24k DRG TIF
> maps I can download FREE at:
> http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/US/61069/1991/group1-3.html
> I also want to scan old maps I have, and add them as different layers, to
> see how well they match up against other newer maps.
>
> My goal is to use software that can either read my data from the Garmin
> handheld gps, or a text file.

> Is this stuff that GRASS can do?
> Can Grass:
>   read data directly from the GPS unit? (at the end of the day).

Not directly, but indirectly.

>   let me draw on the maps?

You can digigitise on screen.

>   support layers?

Yes.

>   show/hide various layers?

Yes, but not comfortably.

>   import a text file of gps track or waypoints?

Yes, though it might be processed in the right format.

I leave the rest for others to answer.
I think that you should look for a good combination of Free Software
as can be found on freegis.org.