[GRASSLIST:5132] Re: Significance of the "WIND" file in a location

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Dec 2 10:08:49 EST 2002

John Dougherty wrote:

> Can someone explain the "WIND" file or point me to some documentation that
> explains it's function in GRASS?  It seems to have an important role in
> whether a map layer projects appropriately or not.  I looked in Neteler and
> Mitasova, but have not found mention and I have not located it in the Grass5
> documentation, so far, either.

The "WIND" file holds the current region. Hopefully the documentation
will describe the concept, as it is central to many operations. It may
not mention the WIND file directly as that is part of GRASS'
internals, and shouldn't be relevant to the user.

Briefly: you can view the current region settings with "g.region -p",
and change them with other options to g.region, or with d.zoom. GRASS
commands which operate upon a specific region normally operate upon
the current region, rather than on the region covered by any
particular map; e.g. commands which operate upon raster maps usually
resample the maps according to the current region settings.