[GRASSLIST:2854] Re: d.mon can't bind to socket

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Jan 4 09:41:15 EST 2002

Anthony Morton wrote:

>  > Eric G. Miller wrote:
>
>  >> Do you get a directory /tmp/grass-$USER (where $USER is your login)?
>  >> And if so, does it contain anything? (like a file called "x0").
>
>  > On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 07:29  PM, Glynn Clements wrote:
>
>  > AFAICT, this was changed after pre2.
>  >
>  > "cvs log src/libes/gis/unix_socks.c" says that pre2 (2001/09/13) was
>  > version 1.5.4.1 (2001/08/01), but the change was made in version
>  > 1.5.4.2 (2001/10/08).
>
> I'm definitely using pre2 which is dated September 2001.  There are no
> grass-related files in /tmp either before or after I try starting a
> monitor.  (There is an .X0-lock file which appears to be associated with
> X11.)  I appear to have write permission on /tmp, given that I can touch
> files there manually.
>
> Should I perhaps try rolling my own GRASS from the latest sources?

It shouldn't be necessary. People have used pre2 on MacOSX.

I should probably elaborate on my previous message.

In pre2 and earlier, the monitor socket is created in a subdirectory
of the current mapset, specifically:

	$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/.tmp/<hostname>/<monitor name>

Eric changed this (after pre2) to use:

	/tmp/grass-<username>/<monitor name>

Other than the pathname used, the behaviour hasn't changed.

Basically, the directions given by Eric aren't applicable to pre2. But
check that the .tmp/<hostname> subdirectory exists. If it doesn't,
that would cause the bind() call to fail.