[GRASSLIST:2998] newbie question re merging DLG data

Emile Snyder esnyder at whitesalmon.net
Fri Jan 25 16:03:38 EST 2002

Hello all,

I am a newcomer to GIS and GRASS, and have recently started playing with
it by working through the GRASS Seeds tutorial and looking at some of the
online course notes.  I have downloaded 1:24000 scale USGS DEM and DLG
data for the 4 regions around where I live and have been experimenting
with those files.  As my house sits almost at the junction of the 4
regions, I have been trying to figure out how to get all the data put
together in one location database.  I imported the DEM data with r.in.gdal
and created a full DEM layer using r.patch on the subregions.  By analogy,
I tried to create, for example, a full vector roads layer out of the 4
road layers from the DLGs (imported with v.in.sdts) using v.patch, but the
boundaries of the original regions show up in the vect.  So, my question:

How do I merge the different vector maps for the 4 regions while getting
rid of the original region boundaries?

thanks,
-emile