[GRASSLIST:3386] Re: german umlauts with ps.map

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Mar 26 08:03:47 EST 2002

Andreas Lange wrote:

> i have a problem generating ps and pdf files with ps.map that contain
> german umlauts (äüöß).
> I am not shure that it is a GRASS problem.
> If i put the umlauts in the ps.map file, the umlauts are in the ps file
> (which is a human readable printer language). But they are not displayed
> with ghostview or xpdf or Acrobat Reader. I tested on Linux and W2K.

PostScript's default encoding isn't ISO Latin 1, but a non-standard
encoding called, ironically, StandardEncoding.

Section 5.9 of the PostScript Language Reference Manual (3rd Edition),
available in PDF format from Adobe's site, gives this example for
creating a copy of a font with a different encoding vector:

	/Helvetica findfont
	dup length dict begin
	{1 index /FID ne
	{def}
	{pop pop}
	ifelse
	} forall
	/Encoding ISOLatin1Encoding def
	currentdict
	end
	/Helvetica-ISOLatin1 exch definefont pop

ps.map should probably be doing this itself; I'll look into it.