[GRASSLIST:3632] Safe to use GRASS 5?

Roy Sanderson R.A.Sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue May 7 13:50:35 EDT 2002

Dear Grass-users

I notice that the GRASS website now describes GRASS 5.0 as 'supported' and
GRASS 4.3 as 'unsupported', whereas 4.3 had previously been described as
'current stable'.  Do I take it from this that it is now safe to upgrade to
GRASS 5.0 pre3?  I realise with its pre3 status that it is not 100% stable,
and that a lot of people are working hard to remove remaining bugs.
However, most commercial software isn't stable when sold (or at least
that's my impression judging by the number of patches needed just to get it
running in some cases!).  So should I risk upgrading to 5.0, or await the
release of 'stable' in presumably 6-12 months time?

Many thanks
Roy

Roy Sanderson
Centre for Life Sciences Modelling