[GRASSLIST:3734] Re: Linux vs. Windows 2000 port

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed May 22 16:28:18 EDT 2002

I am using grass specifically so I don't have to:

1)pay for licences of ArcView and Mapobjects, which would break our projects budget
and
2)run windows.

If all you NEED windows for is word-processing, I would reccomend you give
OpenOffice.org a try. Included in Mandrake (depends which version, its' on the 3rd
download CD), although a newer one would be better (i have the latest one available
for download on my website, compiled for Mandrake 8.2). Depending on what you are
using for stats, you might find adequate solutions under linux (octave, R, scilab etc).

If you use OpenOffice.org on both windows and linux, at least you have one easy way
of sharing the work you do, so you're always productive.

Buchan