[GRASSLIST:4910] Problems with importing polar data

Anton B. Ivanov abi at mipl.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 8 17:57:02 EST 2002

Hello GRASS gurus!

  I am new to the GRASS program and it seems to be VERY powerful. However,
I have been a little frustrated trying to import my polar data into it.

  Here's a problem : I have data (images) projected into a polar
stereographic projection (using some camera speicific software). I import
them using r.in.bin and set up proper lat/lon bounds for these images. The
projection setup is as ups (see PROJ_INFO file below).

  However, when I'm trying display data, put a grid on it or make a
postscript map, the output projection look like a simple cylindrical or
latititude/longitude.

  How do I tell GRASS to display my data in polar stereographic projection
and overlay grid on it?

  Another problem is to project data from simple cylindrical projection
into polar stereographic (using r.proj) . I have no luck there either.

  Any help will be highly appereciated!!!!

  Thanks a lot in advance
  Anton Ivanov

PS. here's PROJ_INFO and PROJ_UNITS pair for my location. I work with
Martian data, so geoid is that of Mars and no datum has been specified.

PROJ_INFO
 ----------------------------------
name: Universal Polar
Stereographic